Re: MATROX G400 and XFree86

Hi Enrique,

I had a similar situation recently with my Matrox G550 and DVI monitor. It all worked when I installed the mga_hal driver. I went to the Matrox website and downloaded the latest driver pack for linux (I am running XF4.3.0 - there's another driver pack for previous versions of X). I extracted the mga_hal driver from the driver tar file and put it somewhere in /usr/X11R6 - if you can't figure it out, get back to me and I'll dig up exactly what I did to get it going.

Ciao,
Guy.

GRCBHEAX wrote:
Hello.
I installed Debian Woody and have a Matrox Video Card G400.
The XFree86 version is 4.1.0.1. I tried to configure it in many ways, including running xf86config and using dpkg-recofigure xserver-xfree86.
Both ways didn´t work, I cannot start the X-Server. I receive some errors: "FAiled to load module mga_hal"

How can I load this module? Where can I find it?
There is a message into the log files telling that "This is a pre-
release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way". I used the version included into the stable Woody CD distribution. I have not Internet connection to this PC, does any update exists which I can install from CD or Floppy?

I attach you the files /var/log/XFree86.0.log and /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4
Enrique Benito

<snip>