Re: how does X find modelines?

Ok, time for another little try-out. :) Try adding the display size of your
panel to your monitor section, using:
DisplaySize width height
where width and height need to be defined in milimeters.

I tried that out and although it didn't fix the problem it has given me some other interesting ideas on a different note. Thanx :)

Also, it might have to do with your resolution not being a standard one. Hence
it may not find all requested modes, and hence dives into this piece of the
code. You said it worked if you only requested 1600x1200? Does it also work
if you request 1600x1200 on top of all the other resolutions?

This you are gonna find real interesting. I went searching on the gentoo forums and found loads of people who have been having this similar problem with my laptop. And I found a guy that instead of giving X and undoable res like 1600x1200, he just simply didn't put in any mode and X came up with the same results as me. But what is peculiar is when I tried this for my self i noticed X defaulted to 640x480, which I know I tried and it did not do these results but rather gave me the white screen. So I tried it on my own by specifying the mode 640x480 and it gave me a white screen. Why would X do 2 different things like that?