From: Benstead, Kevin [mailto:Kevin.Benstead@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 8:20 AM
To: Miller, Marlena; xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Blank LCD display

As it happens we have a Geode base system here (using XFree 4.4.0 but the
config files should be the same)

If you want to try this save your XF86Config file so that you can get back
to it later.  (I saved mine as XF86Config.old)

I used the xf86config utility to generate a config file for me.  It worked
first time.

After the mouse and keyboard sections the monitor selection comes next.  I
selected a standard VGA monitor and selected 50-70Hz vertical refresh.

Next is the VGA card selection.  I selected the VESA compatible driver (the
first one on the list) and selected the amount of memory I have for video
memory.

Then it comes up with a list of possible modes it thinks we can use.  For
each of the colour depths (8, 16 and 24 bit) you need to make sure that ONLY
640x480 is allowed.  When you edit each colour depth you are asked if you
want a virtual desktop.  Answer no.

I then selected 16 bit colour as my default.  The config utility then
created my XF86Config file for me.

I typed startx and X started straight away.

Here are my critical sections.

Section	"Monitor"
    Identifier	"Kevins 640 x 480- monitor"
    HorizSync	31.5
    VertRefresh 50-70
# NOTE there are no Mode line in here.
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Geode"
	Driver	"vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# The Identifier, Device and Monitor lines must be present

    Identifier	"Screen 0"
    Device	"Geode"
    Monitor	"Kevins 640 x 480- monitor"

    DefaultDepth 16

    SubSection "Display"
        Depth		8
        Modes		"640x480"
	ViewPort	0 0
    EndSubsection

    SubSection "Display"
        Depth		16
	Modes		"640x480"
	ViewPort	0 0
    EndSubsection

    SubSection "Display"
        Depth		24
	Modes		"640x480"
	ViewPort	0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

The ServerLayout section just points to "Screen 0" as its only screen and
that's it.

My thought is that there is some sort of conflict going on between the modes
specified by the Monitor section and what is specified in the Screens
section.

The Viewport option makes sure that the your 'window' onto a virtual desktop
starts at the top left.  Otherwise it would normally start in the middle.
This should not really be an issue as the monitor resolution is 640x480
which is what we have set the screen resolution to.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
email:   kevin.benstead@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel:       +44 (0)118 971 5032