Re: XFree86 verion 4.4 / Shared Libraries

EXT-Holvenstot, Christopher wrote:

I am currently one of a group of people who are charged with rehosting the International Space Station's PCS platform from an IBM 750XD ThinkPad running Solaris X86 2.5 to the newer IBM A31p ThinkPad running a stripped down version of Red Hat Linux 9.0.

One of the ongoing minor problems we have had is that from time to time, when the display shifts from text mode to graphical mode (or back) it gets "jumbled" - sort of like the horizontal refresh rate is not detected correctly (if there is such a thing on a laptop's LCD screen)

We have found that upgrading from the 4.3 version to the 4.4 version of  XFree86 appears to remedy this problem.

However, there is one minor issue that I am trying to deal with - the construction of a 4.4 RPM which will fit into our automated install process - all version 4.4 testing to date has been done using X installed using the XFree86 supplied install scripts and the requisite truckload of tgz files downloaded from the XFree86 website.

I have downloaded and reviewed several version 4.4 RPM bundles, but they all seem to have one common issue - they require glibc to be at higher level than the version 2.3.2 we have.

For us this is a major problem - we are so far along in getting our system qualified for manned space flight that there is major resistance to making any core system change.  So, like a dummy, I decided to start down the road of building my own XFree86 4.4 RPM.

For the most part this has gone OK - all of the required files arrear to end up in the right place.  However, when you bring x up you get a number of messages saying that there was an error loading shared libraries - specifically libXmuu.so.1 and libX.so.6.

I have verified that these files are actually on the system.  If I come up in single user mode and manually start the configuration routine I do get the graphical screen with the "X" cursor.

The files in question do reside in /usr/X11R6/lib - but this path does not show up in the path statement or in LD_LIBRARY_PATH on either a functional system, or the one that I built which is slightly less than functional.

What am I missing here?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you tried modifying /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig?

Steve