problem with displaying X on eOne

On my old eOne emachine, with an ATI Rage XL AGP, and no outer
physical controls for the monitor (it is the all in one deal that
Emachines got sued over by Apple) I have installed Red Hat Linux 9,
and X windows, but not Gnome or KDE.  It runs gdm, but uses xdm and
ultimately X itself.

With the console style, it fits the monitor perfectly, as well as the
splash screen for grub, but when X starts, the video image is shifted
to the left, and part of the screen is cut off...and there is a giant
black bar along the right side of the screen.  Also, the screen's
height is smaller than what could fit the monitor.

Xvidtune does absolutely nothing, and all my previous changes to the
XF86config file and other files have not done a thing (cept when I set
the refresh rate too low on XF86config, then it didn't work, but I
fixed that).

Anybody have any clues as to what is the problem and how I can go
about fixing it?

Attached are my XF86Config and XFree86.0.log files.

-Eric-