XVideo support problem.

Hello, my first post to this list so please bear with me :).

I am new to the world of Linux, and especially to the configuration part, but I will try to make this as straightforward
and complete as possible. Here goes:

I downloaded and compiled the latest stable mplayer version in order to be able to watch movies and the like. Now, upon running it I get too poor performance to even consider using it to watch movies. I quickly understood that this was due to the lack of XVideo support, as "xvinfo" informed me. I proceeded to the XFree86 manual page and noticed that the module
I am using (via) _did_ support the Xvideo layer, which confused me. I made sure that it was indeed this module I was using, but still, xvinfo would report no adaptors.

Is it perhaps a newer version of this module or X that is referenced in the documentation? Strangely enough, my local man file also tells me that it has Xvideo support.

>From the log:

XFree86.0.log:(II) Loading extension XVideo
XFree86.0.log:(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

The version of X:

XFree86 Version 4.3.99.902 (4.4.0 RC 2)
Release Date: 18 December 2003

I am running SuSE Linux 9.1 and the graphic chipset is a VIA VT 7205 (acknowledged as supported in the man file/documentation online).

The X Config file loads the via module as advised in the man file.

Thank you for any help as I am running out of ideas here.

/Daniel