Re: dilemma

On Saturday 26 June 2004 16:23, Beau wrote:
> Sorry if this verges on being off topic.  I have spent over twenty
> hours trying to get X to work on my compaq presario 2105. I have got
> as far as getting twm up, but cannot get the mouse to work.  There I
> stand.  By contrast, my knoppix disc fires up a very nice
> windowing-desktop environment, no sweat...but does not do so well with
> my networking.  Red-Hat auto-configged both just fine last time I
> tried it on this box, but for strictly irrational reasons I'd like to
> make things work with debian.
>
> So, here's the question, and feel free to backchannel: which would you
> do?  Go back to redhat, wrestle networking in knoppix, continue
> wrestling X in debian?  No pointers too basic, and happy to r any fm
> (that's "fine manual") y'all can point to.

Hello Beau. My name is Larry. Having had some experience with a few versions
of Linux I would reccomend you go back to Redhat as it is a very stable
version. I myself am using SuSE Linux 9.1 and find it nice and not at all
like windows. It found all of my hardware except my scanner. But that is no
problem. Redhat is a good choice if you are not a newbie. Their support is
not free and is very limited. SuSE support is free by email once you
register. I am not pushing SuSE, just letting you know about it. I am also
trying out topologilinux 4. To run that you have to have windows installed. I
have not got it to recognize my internet connection. I have been with tech
support and he thinks it is a wrong driver. I don't think so as all of the
other versions found it except the Slackware versions of which topologilinux
is a version. So Have fun. Just look at the different versions and read
carefully what each one does. Make your decession carefully.
Thanks for listening.
I can be reached at gp40mac@xxxxxxxxxxx anytime.

Larry