I can' t start X Window. Please help!

Dear Sir,
      I installed Red Hat Linux 9 yesterday. After installation of the packages, Red Hat Linux asked me to carry out some more procedure to set up the OS. After I pressed the button Forward, the screen turns black. I don' t know what to do next except restarting. I entered the text mode. The screen flashed serveral times when I tried to login as root. I don'  t know how to solve the problem.
      Red Hat Linux 9 setup program did not recognize my display card correctly. I corrected the mistake by choosing the last item in ATI cards. Here is the configuration of my computer:
Motherboard  Intel MU440EX
AGP Display Controller ATI Rage Pro Turbo 1X AGP display controller  2MB SGRAM video memory standard
Audio subsystem  Yamaha YMF 740-V digital controller
   Analog Devices AD1819A analog codec
Modem   PC-TEL PC56EVP Data Fax Voice Modem  (ISA)
Display chip & Audio subsystem on board
I copied the config from the motherboard handbook.
I have attacted the log file XFree86.0.log for your reference. Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Tsang from Hong Kong

PS I am sorry that I forgot to add the log file