Re: weird i830 startup problem

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, sage weil wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I have a weird startup issue with the i810 driver on my Sharp um32w
> notebook with the i830 chipset.  I can eventually get it to start up in 24
> bpp mode (what I want), but it can't seem to initialize itself properly
> unless I start up in 16 or 8bpp mode first.  I've diffed the attempts to
> start directly into 24bpp after boot and the successful 24bpp startup
> after having first done it at 16bpp, and the only difference (before the
> first attempt unloads drivers and fails) is:
>
> 356c356
> < (II) VESA VBE Total Mem: 832 kB
> ---
> > (II) VESA VBE Total Mem: 8000 kB
>
> Oddly enough, though, the 16bpp startup also shows VBE mem at 832 kB.
>
> Does anybody familiar with the i810 driver know what might be going on
> here?  I tried adding a VideoMem 8192 directive, but that appears to be
> unrelated to the VESA VBE number.  I couldn't find anything else in the
> docs that seemed relevant..

Hello,
  this is the famous i810 problem. I think there is a bug in the driver,
so you have two options:
* use 855wrapper program written down by Christian Zietz. It's a script
that must be run prior to start any X. Look at
            http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html
* go to XFree86-4.4.0 (even 4.3.0 still has this problem)
The latter solution is better if you want to use other features on the
laptop (like swsusp2 etc).

Regards
           Tomas

P.S: What resolution does your screen have ?

 E-mail : Tomas.Davidek@xxxxxxx,
          davidek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx