XFree86 server crash problem

Hello;
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Also, I just would like you to know that I've exhaused all my resources, incluing linuxquestions and google/linux as well as fiddling around.

Running: Red Hat 8

Ok the X display will not show at all, that is when I hit ctrl-alt-f7 I get a blank screen. But I can press ctrl-alt-f[1-6] and get a terminal. So I log onto the terminal type startx and get:

Fatal server error:
Server already running for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by sever
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key giving up.
xinitd: unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3):Server error

So then I type startx -- :1 to see if I can get X working on an alternate display.... i cant. I switch to ctrl-alt-f8 and I get the black screen, I switch back to the terminal and see that it cant open the display.

But in the midst of some errors I see the log file is /var/log/XFree86.1.log

So I view this (as well as XFree86.0.log) and find the error:

Audit: Tue Jun ...: 983 X: client 4 rejected from local host Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

This error appears in both log files, multiple times.

I checked my /etc/X11/XF86Config file, and all looks well (I have not touched this file in a while).

I have tried other solutions including killing all X-processes, rebooting, deleting /tmp/X0.lock, and a buch of other stuff that I forgot.

One final note, I believe that the last this I was doing before the 'crash' was fiddling around with the automounter. But while trying to find the solution to this problem I disabled automount from staring up by placing a '.' in front of the file name in the rc5.d directory,

e.g. .S29Autofs

Therefore essentially 'blinding' the startup rc file to see this.

Im all out of Ideas and need help :( Once again I appreciate all the help I can get. I have been running RH8 for a couple of months now and am starting to get comfertable with linux but I am no where near gurudom, so all help is appreciated.

Thank you so so so so so much;
Movitto

Do you Yahoo!?