Multiple touchscreens

Hi XF86 mailing list.
I have Fedora Core 1 with the XFree86 4.3.0-42 and gnome 2.4.0-1 rpms The
hardware involves 8 elo touchscreens using usb to serial converters and two
dual head Matros G450 cards with splitters on them.
I get moderate success running them all in the same X like so

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Default Layout"
    Screen "Screen1"...
    Screen "Screen8"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Touch1" "SendCoreEvents"...
    InputDevice "Touch8" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

But the problem being that the mouse is grabbed by the touchscreen in use, so
two simultaneous users can't use it at same time (not a huge problem).  I
would like to use the "void" driver for keyboard and mouse as CorePointer and
CoreKeyboard, running separate versions of the XFree86 (like XFree862
-xf86config XF86Config2) etc... but am running into two problems:
1) using void for CoreKeyboard doesn't seem to work.  I note in log that it
loads it as type "Void", but then exits with signal 11.  I thought perhaps
this was a problem with xkb extensions and tried puttin XkbDisable in a
ServerFlags
section - it shows Xkb disabled at beginning of log, but then shows later on
that the builtin module XKEYBOARD is loaded.

2) once it gets into gnome I have 1 main desktop that is ghosted across all
the monitors but is a little erratic as it doesn't truly have it's own desktop
on each screen.  When I attempt running separate versions of XFree86 with
different configs, it insists upon opening them in a new vt, if I specify vt7
for each instance, I get quite erratic behaviour- and I think this relates to
it trying to use same CoreKeyboard.  When it loads a new vt instance it won't
show the old vt (definition of vt I guess) - necessitating using the hotkeys
to switch vts.

So, is there anyway to have multiple versions of X running all at once using
different server layouts without switching to the new vt?  Maybe take gnome
out of the picture and just load my opera -kioskmode in straight X?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks... Jeremy Capps