Problems using G450 dualhead (mga) and onboard S3 (Savage) drivers under SUSE 9.1

Information:

I just spent 6 hours trying to get a G450 Dual head card to work with my onboard S3 ProSavage, and by the response I got from google, I must be the first, so I thought I write this for any sorry sole attempting it in the future. I guess much of this would be the same for any graphics card working with the G450.

I have a Shuttle SK41G, and was using the onboard graphics as my sole head. Sax2 detected this as a S3 ProSavage DDR-K (savage). Everything worked fine.
Then I decided to buy a Matrox G450 Millenium 32MB DDR PCI card so I had could have 3 monitors. I've tried a ATI Radeon 7000 AGP with the Shuttle SK41G in the past, and found that use of the AGP slot, turns off the onboard graphics chip, so you must use a PCI unless you want to replace the onboard chip.

Two notable problems, I had to ensure AGP was set as the primary display, so as to have the ProSavage as my main screen on bootup. This is also the first screen as detected by SuSE's sax2. Also I found that sax2 insists on putting Option "NoHal" in the mga device sections, which kills the card in Dual Head mode. I had strange but occasionally successful results with one montior disconnected in this mode.

Everything began to work, but badly with 'Option "UseBIOS" "off"' in the ProSavage section. The world became reliable and rosey with 'Option "ShadowFB"' in the second G450 section.

Supprisingly mga_hal doesn't seem to be needed and the NoHal option just breaks things.

After much experimentation this XF86Config setup seemed to work (Most XF86Config sections left out as they have nothing to do with the problem) Module may also be an unneccesary section, I don't know so I left it in :-

Section "Module"
  Load         "speedo"
  Load         "type1"
  Load         "v4l"
  Load         "glx"
  Load         "dri"
  Load         "extmod"
  Load         "dbe"
  Load         "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "ProSavage DDR-K"
  BusID        "1:0:0"
  Driver       "savage"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option        "UseBIOS" "off"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "S3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "G450"
  BusID        "2:0:0"
  Driver       "mga"
  Identifier   "Device[1]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "Matrox"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "G450"
  BusID        "2:0:0"
  Driver       "mga"
  Identifier   "Device[2]"
  Option       "ShadowFB"
  Screen       1
  VendorName   "Matrox"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
  Option       "Clone" "off"
  Option       "Xinerama" "on"
  Screen       "Screen[0]"
  Screen       "Screen[1]" LeftOf "Screen[0]"
  Screen       "Screen[2]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
EndSection

I note some problems with X crashing that go away with Xinerama being turned off, but other than that it seems fine

Simon