Re: [xfree86] RedHat Linux login problems

OK, so you are now logged in. Next step is to enter the command startx.

This will launch the graphical interface, in your case probably Gnome Desktop.

When you exit the desktop you will be returned to this command prompt. To shut
down the computer try one of these commands:

halt
shutdown now
powerdown

As soon as possible create a "real" user. Running as root is unsafe, it is too
easy to make a fatal mistake.

dc