Root cannot start X but sudo user can

Several days ago after a reboot (FC1 - 2188) I found that when I tried to log in as root, I got only the Blue Screen of Death.  However, when
I logged in as user911 (my sudo user with ALL root privs) X started normally.  Since then I've poked around and found the following:

1. It's an X problem, not a password problem.  I can login normally as root when I start in run-level 3 or when I Ctrl-Alt-F2 to a virtual. However, when I issue reboot in the virtual, nothing happens though
reboot is normal if I'm in as user911. So, it's an X problem specific to the user root since when I login as user911 X seems to function normally.

2.  root's XFree86. log shows only one warning (that I believe is irrelevant): Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) No such device.

3.  I've visually inspected all the scripts in /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11
and all seem to be OK but since I've never had a reason to look at them
before that's not much of a comfort.

4.  I've looked at all the logs for signs of something wrong but see nothing alarming there.

5.  I should say that I've been running this X release (4.3) since the
initial installation of FC1 with not sign of this problem.  My only memory of what I was doing just before it first appeared was that I had rebooted before closing my mail handler (but I had done that before with no problem).

6.  As a last resort, I can always install the 4.4 release of XFree86 and I suppose that should fix it but I'd rather find the fix so i can pass that on to the developers.  I've found no sign of a similar problem in XFree86 emails so I'm hoping those of you who know XFree86 a whole lot better than I can give me some guidance or ideas about fixing this situation.

Thanks.

Karl L