XFree Multimeda Extensions

Hi there,

recently I've seen a lot of discussions on the Web about "X being obsolete / bad / ..." Though I don't agree with the negative people I've taken some time to think about it and I had an Idea, I want to draw your attention to.

In my opinion X is a great thing which could be improved by some additions: something like Xmmm (or whatever) which should be some extensions for multimedia usage. Among these I would count:

- support for sending JPEG, PNG or MPEG data directly to the X server;
- support for some "reverse channel" for transmitting data from a camera to the client;
- some kind of X Sound - a bidirectional interface for Sound play and recording.

Actually I don't think, you should reinvent everything, but just find some good piece of code and add the etensions to the X protocol. This way X would gain a lot of popularity for the new millenium.

This is just my personal opinion and I want to give the Idea to the community for discussion.

Bernhard Agthe