HotRodSE under XFree86 without keyboard attached doesn't work since upgrading to SuSE 9.1

Hello all,

It's a rather complicated problem I'm experiencing, so I didn't really know in
which mailinglist to put this. I hope someone here can help.

I'm using a HotRodSE (Hanaho arcade joystick) under XFree86. Normally you can
attach a keyboard to the HotRodSE, but for my arcade cabinet I did not do
this. In SuSE 8.2 this worked without any problems, but in SuSE 9.1 it does
not. The front-end I use doesn't react to any of the HotRodSE's buttons. If
at that point I attach a keyboard however, the HotRodSE's keys suddenly start
working, and continue to work even after disconnecting the keyboard again.

Anyone got an idea of what might be causing this? I really don't want to have
to keep a keyboard inside my arcade machine (when I get around to building
it;).

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff