odd font problem, under tiny-X

well, it's odd to me, anyway, but i'm hoping someone else will
think it's entirely normal, and tell me just what to do.

i've installed the Xfbdev server from the current Debian "testing"
release.  the hardware is an embedded MIPS little-endian device, though
it's a complete enough system to run "real" debian -- not a stripped
version of some sort.

i've captured three samples of the problem.  the first two are
from the "roadmap" application, the third is the "minitime" clock running
under matchbox's mbdock app.  the fourth is of rxvt, and shows that not
all text is affected -- just the title bar.  you'll also note that in
most cases, not every character is affected.

    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/about.jpg
    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/menus.jpg
    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/minitime.jpg
    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/rxvtprob.jpg

can someone suggest what this system might be missing, or, if it looks
like a bug, where it might live, and how to work around it?

i'm not much of an X11 guy, so thanks very much in advance!
(which also means i'm not sure what extra information i should be
providing about my system to help folks try to answer this.)

paul