Problems with Intel 82845G

Title: Problems with Intel 82845G

Hello,

I have problems using my Intel 82845G on Redhat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10, Xfree86 4.1.0. I choose to use a vesa driver instead of a i810 driver, because the drivers for the intel card a found on the net are all only for more recent RedHat and/or XFree86 versions. For us, upgrading is not an option, long story...The only video mode I need is 8 bits, 1280x1024.

The system I installed RedHat on is a very special Hatteland 19" LCD screen with integrated computer, using an integrated Intel 82845G on the motherboard and also there is a CRT outlet for an additional screen. In the Award BIOS I set the amount of shared video mem on 8MB, and set the screen to boot on the LCD display, not on the CRT outlet.

The problem I have now it this: I boot my RedHat machine, login as root and start xinit. X starts and shows an xterm window. I'm happy. Now I want to close down X and I do so, typing exit in the xterm window. I'm back in text mode. Now I type xinit again to go back to X and the screen flickers but stays completely black.

I know that the graphics are "loaded" because if I guess where the xterm should be on the black screen, I go there with my mouse, I click one time to focus and type exit. Then the system returns to text mode again!! So it is working but it isn't visible anymore!

So I only can view my graphics only one time and only after a fresh reboot of the system. The very same thing happens when using the ALT-F* keys to switch consoles, or using CTRL-ALT-Backspace to kill X.

I runned the command X -configure and I attached the /var/log/XFree86.0.log to this message. It said that I needed to run scanpci -v, wich I did and I also attached that output. Furthermore I enclosed my XF86config-4 file and a pdf file with some specs of the Hatteland hardware. I hope you can give me the golden hint to get rid of the black screen.

Thanks,

Linda Rietveld