Re: SiS Direct rendering

Marcial Vieira wrote:
On Wednesday 31 March 2004 13:27, Ian Romanick wrote:

Based on the fact that glxinfo shows GLX version 1.4 is supported, you
must have installed the software libGL from Mesa.  You need the libGL
that came with XFree86 to get hardware acceleration.  Uninstall the Mesa
library and put the original one back.

Well, I compiled a new version because the libs with cames with xfree (Slack 9.1) didn't work for me, glxinfo tell indirect rendering and glxgears doesn't run, so I upgrade, now continues with indirect rendering but glxgears run.

By the way, I hear about the file that did direct rendering is
libGL.so.1.(version) so anyone that has sis with direct rendering please send me that file, it should be in the /usr/X11R6/lib.

I downloaded libGL.so.1.1 but it is so old and some programs like xmame.xgl doesn't work with that version.

You're mixing and matching things in ways that they should not be mixed. It's like putting diesel in a gasoline engine: it isn't going to work! The libGL.so that comes from the Mesa distribution draws everything in software using Xlib calls. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT AT ALL. The libGL.so that comes from XFree86 acts as a driver loader to load the direct-rendering driver. This is the *only* way to get hardware accelerated 3D on XFree86. Look in at the glxinfo output in your last message, you went from one version of Mesa's libGL (wrong) to another, older version of Mesa's libGL (even more wrong). Did I mention that you need the libGL.so from XFree86 and not the one from Mesa? ;)

If the driver that ships with the version of XFree86 you have installed isn't working, then you might try an updated driver. Get a driver snapshot from the DRI project's site. There have some problems lately, so get a snapshot from *before* March 4th. sis-20040303.tar.bz2 would be a good choice.

http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Download