How do I recovery graphic mode?

Hi group, I am a beginner on linux OS, using Red Hat 9.0 and having
this problem:

I was working in the GNOME graphic mode and, suddenly the power got
down. When I turned on the computer again, the system did not achieve
to start the graphic mode, it seemed to switch between graphic and
text modes, however I have not enough time to type 'root' and the
password.

Afterwards I started with the installation CD and I modified the file
/etc/inittab in order to start in execution level 3. Now, It start OK,
but I would like to work again in graphic mode. How can I achieve
that?
Friends on Internet told me to check:

xfs start    It is OK
fsck            It is OK

When I invoke xserver by mean 'startx' the netx
message display:

Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

How might I fix it?

Thanks in advance.