X Locks computer

Hi all.  I'm having a bit of a problem with my x installation.
 It seems to have come from no where.  Prior to today,
everything was working fine, I had not experienced any
problems.  I rebooted my machine because of a problem I was
having that turned out to be an bad ethernet cable.  Anyhow,
after the reboot I invoke "startx" from bash.  A black screen
pops up and the system is locked up.  Everything is locked.  I
cannot change consoles, I've had an ssh connection open to the
computer and after I invoke a startx the ssh session is
terminated, so all I can do is restart the system.  Pings are
not responded to as well.  I have checked the logfiles for the
the syslog, and messages and there is nothing suspect in them,
no panics from the kernel, nothing but system init stuff.  The
funny part is my x log is never written to.  The logfile I
have is from 2 days ago when I last started the xserver.  I am
at a loss as to why the log file isn't written.  I was hoping
somebody would have an idea/suggestions.  My system info is as
follows:

XFree86 4.3.0.1
2.6.4 kernel
gnome 2.4 as window manager
Using ATI dri drivers (fglrx) for a radeon 9600mobile
A slackware 9.1 install & using dropline

I uninstalled/re-installed the xfree86 packages via pkgtool
thinking possibly a file was corrupted or someone a permission
was changed but this did not help.  I made a very conservative
xconfig file using vesa but this also did not help.  Also GDM
and the like perform exactly the same way.  A blank screen and
a hard lock.

If anyone has ideas please let me know!

I can post log files if necessary (As I said x's log file
isn't even pertinent because its OLD) but it will be a pain
doing it without x working, but I assure you no messages from
the kernel are recorded when the computer locks up.

Thanks,
David Swiston