Re: Spawning x based on sis-driver auto detection of available devices

Robert Rozman wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to do following setup (I have Pundit with sis 651 chipset with two
possible output devices):
- if I have only first VGA device available I'd like to spawn certain X with
Freevo app on this screen

"certain X"? I am afraid I don't follow.

- if I have first + second device (TV out) that would spawn X with Freevo
app on second device and normal X with desktop on primary VGA.

I've read in sis driver manual that if it detects two devices with proper
settings it'll spawn two independent X screens -

No, it does not. And I can't imagine the manual says so (since I wrote it). *Unless* you configure two device, monitor and screen sections, it will show the same screen on both output devices. If you configure dual head mode (without the Xinerama option), there will be two sessions, each on one output device.

> I'd just like to specify
what to spawn on each device in case of one and in other case of two
devices.

Is this possible and doable with XF86Config settings or some other utility ?
Any examples ?

Basically, there are three modes as regards output device handling:

1) "Normal" - one or two devices detected, both show the same. This is the default unless either a) two device, monitor, screen sections are given, or b) mergedfb (merged framebuffer mode) is enabled (Option "MergedFB" or "MergedFBAuto")

2) Dual head mode: As said, two device, screen, monitor sections are needed, each one for CRT1 and CRT2. Without the option "Xinerama", you get two sessions. With Xinerama, you get... Xinerama

3) MergedFB: Works a little like Xinerama.

For a detailed documentation, please see my website. Examples for configuration files are there, too.

Thomas

Sorry for newbie language, I'm just getting started in this area.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.

Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria