Re: Error: Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

Paulo Belletato wrote:

I'm not understanding why that simple opengl program gives the message:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

You should be able to ignore that message. As part of libGL start-up it tries to determine if direct rendering is available. With the "standard" libGL, this means using DRI protocol. When it sends the "Hello?" message to the X-server, the X-server tells it that it knows nothing about DRI. Hence the message. From that point it should just fallback to indirect rendering and work. Is that what you're seeing?

I belive that is the use of GLUT library, because I've already commented the line Load "dri" from XF86Config and restarted X. When I run the program, the message was the same.

Since I do not see any references to DRI on the program and according your message DRI should not be necessary to run opengl programs, I belive that the glut.h header should use some DRI resources, Am I correct?

You won't see any references to DRI in your program. DRI means "Direct Rendering Infrastructure". It's how the standard XFree86 libGL, the X-server, and the kernel work together to provide hardware accelerated direct rendering. It all happens under the sheets, so to speak.