Re: please help me about linux installation

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:43:38PM -0800, nima mani wrote:
> When I want to install LINUX 7.2 on my machine my vga could not be detected and my vga( NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 MX 440 SE ) is not in the list of vga . and after installation some erors occures those mean that my vga could not detect.  I write the eror below.:

With Linux 7.2, I presume you mean RedHat 7.2, SuSE 7.2 or some other distribution. Linux 7.2 does not exist. Both RH and SuSE 7.2 do not support
the newer NVIDIA chipsets as far as I know, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :) There's a couple of things you can do:
- upgrade XFree86 (the X window environment) to a version that does support this chipset (4.3.x most likely)
- upgrade your distribution to a newer version that supports this chipset out of the box
The second option is the easiest by far for a beginning user. Both SuSE 7.2 and RH 7.2 are pretty old distributions, and you might benefit from the
upgrades that have been made since then.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff