cyberblade i1 & bugs

Dear Xfree,

I posted many a time a message about my problems with
this graphic chipset I have been using since sept.
2001 on my Toshiba Laptop 1800-750 and also on a Sony
Vaio PCG-801A.
Since I read recently a message of someone having the
same problem (and the answer was "try some other
application other than mplayer") I sum them up again,
knowing that this can sound all a bit naive...

- Sometimes you can play movies, some other times you
get a green/blu/pink window (this depends on the
version of the driver). It happens with mplayer & xine
& xawtv, and probably others. Of course I am talking
about movies which work in other sessions or on other
machines.
- It seems to me that avi files make things generally
go worse, old avis and mpgs usually work, dvds are ok.
- You can play files fullscreen, you can t play dvds
fullscreen (you get either a black screen or vertical
lines with sound).
- If you use gxine, you are 90% sure you ll have a
green screen.
- When you quit the green window, the screen is ok.
But if you got a green window usually you have to
shutdown
and power on again if you want to watch a movie.
Hoping for the best. Killing X won t work 98% of the
times.
- If you start xmame fullscreen you are quite sure you
will get the green screen. If you start it windowed
and
you make it fullscreen afterwards you are quite sure
you ll be fine.
-  If you run something dga, your screen will go on
the left-upper corner, when you try to switch back you
ll have either a smaller centered screen (with pieces
of desktop cut) or a screen with a stripe on the
right, which repeats some of the rest of the screen.
- If you run some games (say tux or others) your
screen
will be split into say 6/7 vertical stripes, and you
have to kill X.
- Many splash screens are greenish, but not all.

I tried to understand all this time if there is any
kind of workaround, or something to do to avoid
rebooting, with no luck.
Only once, with a RH 7.1 and I think Xfree 4.2
I didn t experience the problem for a long time.
I tried many distributions, precompiled and not
Xfrees,
with the same result.
I don t want to sound polemic, but everytime I posted
a message, I just got the answer "try the new
drivers",
but if you read in the release notes there is no
mention about improvements in the trident drivers.
So i guess the Xfree driver for the cyberblade/i1 will
stay buggy forever (since I have TWO of these damned
cards which work under windows I KNOW it s the driver)
and the only thing I am asking for is to declare this
driver as buggy, and if known, a possible procedure to
avoid rebooting, which is really what bothers me the
most.

I also wish to express all my gratitude to all the ppl
involved in one of the most important linux project
for their great work. THANKS.

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de