Re: a Xfree86 bug

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:44:09PM -0800, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>    My impression was that "mem=nopentium" was only applicable
> to older kernels.

>Basically, the large page extension on AMD
> processors behaves differently than on Intel.  Linux kernel
> did not properly support it (nor did Microsoft Windows, for that
> matter).  I thought that newer 2.4 kernels had workarounds for
> the Athlon, but "mem=nopentium" was required to disable the broken
> support altogether on older kernels.  Perhaps this is a regression
> in 2.6.

I also knew that "mem=nopentium" was deprecated with 2.6.xx kernels,
do you know if this issue has been fixed in 2.6 kernels ??

actually, I discovered that my memory was quite bad, at least
one hundred errors with memtest !! so instabilities with AGP
could be related not specificly to AGP software but to the fact that
AGP uses one bad memory area

|                          Edouard DEBRY                          |
| Ph-D student at E.N.P.C - C.E.R.E.A   http://www.enpc.fr/cerea/ |
| 21 Rue Nobel, Cité Descartes        TEL  : 33 1 64 15 21 52     |
| 77455 CHAMPS SUR MARNE              MAIL : debry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  |
| Thesis subject: MODELING OF AN ATMOSPHERIC AEROSOL DISTRIBUTION |