RE: how to tell which linux process a window belongs to? (window ID => process ID)

Of course there *is* no way to do that.

If somebody's working on it, hopefully there *will be* a way to do that.

For example, (this would be a bad solution, but it's not impossible) if
you can run a netstat on the box that owns the process, you can find out
what process is talking on that specific socket.  Therefore you can
associate Window ID <==> Socket <==> pid.  (Again, that's a poor
solution, but it's not impossible.)

Then there's the issue of ten xterm's that all look identicle to each
other.  It would be nice if there's a way to tell PID #1234 to blink its
window color or something like that.  Surely there's no support right
now, but that only means there's an opportunity for anyone who wants to
pursue it.

Nothing is impossible.