Re: how to tell which linux process a window belongs to? (window ID => process ID)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, dave giffin wrote:

> I'm writing a window manager to experiment with
> different ways of organizing programs that users use.
>
> One of the things I'm trying requires that I know
> which windows belong to which linux process.

   There is no way to do that.  The X-server knows
only that a window belongs to a client.  That client
is nothing more than some anonymous entity on the
other end of a socket.  Remember, X is network
transparent.  The other end of that socket may be
on another machine.

			Mark.