Re: XF86 Server Crash

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Wes Jennings wrote:

> > Actually, it states the following:

> > > Fatal server error:
> > > Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

> I noticed this message.  Do you figure the xboard program is sending an
> abort command that the X server is picking up?  That doen't make any
> sense in the way I am using xboard.  I am trying to play a chess game
> with it, not exit from it or bang away with some non-sense commands.

Abort command?!?  You're confused.  Signal 11 is a segfault.  In the
server in this case.

> > > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> > > the full server output, not just the last messages.
> > > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> > > Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Would it be possible for you to check if the problem persists with XFree86
> > 4.4?

> I have never upgrading to a new X system before.  I'm inclining to stay
> with my Slackware-9.1 distribution setup which is using X server 4.3.
> What is the logic behind changing to version 4.4?  Is it known that
> version 4.3 has certain known problems that I am dealing with?

1) Yes, there were (note tense) related problems in 4.3 that have since
been fixed.

2) This isn't a support line.  I don't have time to deal with issues that
have already been dealt with.

> Thanks for your response!  Any insight on how to solve this problem
> would be appreciated.

> Wes Jennings,  email: wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

... Then set this in your From: lines.  That what you have there bounces
is most annoying.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |