Re: XF86 Server Crash

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Wes Jennings wrote:

> I have a persistent XF86 server crash. Here are some details and
> my attached /var/log file. Any help with what I am dealing with
> greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,  Wes Jennings  email: wes @harbornet.com

> 1. Generic 200MHz Pentium computer with 128Meg memory, running
> icewm-???

> 2. I have not experienced any other problem except when running
> xboard-4-0.7, as shipped with Slackware-9.1. When I attempt to
> run xboard, it creates a server crash, not immediately, but
> within the first minute or less of operation. This happens if I
> am running the chess playing engine or running xboard in
> stand-alone mode. So it is something basically wrong with
> xboard, the XFree86 server, or something about how the interact.

> 3. The /var/log/XFree86.0.log is attached below, but there is
> one last paragraph of error messages that did not reach this log
> file. It states the following.

> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 194628 requests (194510 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.

Acually, it states the following:

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>

> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages.
> This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> Please report problems to xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Would it be possible for you to check if the problem persists with XFree86
4.4?

Thanks.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |