Low resolution modeline with a nVidia Riva TNT 2

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to start an X server in order to display low resolution
on an arcade monitor. The monitor is correctly plugged to the pc with special
hardware which amplify the vga signal for this purpose. The monitor
horizontal frequency is 15Khz, horizontal is 60Hz and the clock freq is
7.16Mhz.
This is a standard arcade resolution monitor, you can find the common specs of
these monitor at this address : http://www.klov.com/monitor.html

I made a modeline using http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/
Modeline "336x240@60" 6.44 336 368 392 424 240 245 248 253

The dot clock frequency of this modeline (6.44) is not possible to reproduce
with my nVidia Riva TNT2 according to X.
/var/log/Xfree86.0.log says "bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan" for my
modeline. It also say for my gfx card : Clock range:  12.00 to 350.00 MHz

If X think that the lowest pclock frequency for these cards is 12.0 then I
understand that it refuses this modline wich uses a 6.44 pclock frequency,
but the thing is that I often read that the Nvidia Riva TNT2 is ok to use for
this purpose (making a mame cab), I read that in advancemame website, in
easymamecab (http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/hardware.htm), and other
arcade related sites, ... In easymamecab they talk about the use of this card
with advancemame. But i don't understand what advancemame could do that X
couldn't do ? If I ask X to use a 15Khz resolution and it tells me that the
card pclock can't handle this, why advancemame could be able to do this ? (i
didn't tried advancemame because I really want to use X in order to make my
own front-end)

PS: I also tried a Matrox G200, the problem is the same.

--
Fabien Meghazi