Re: Does Rotate an Reflect work in 4.4?

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, K. Miaowara wrote:

> Hmmm... Ok.
>
> Just as well I suppose. Another question I have: is there a way I can use the new "nv" drivers with an older version of XFree86? I have a Nvidia FX 5200 (one of the cards not supported by the 4.3.0 driver). I've tried simply copying the new driver the correct location but that gives an abi module version error. Apparently this switch is possible though, because this guy (http://www.adebenham.com/laptop/toshiba_m200.html) did it successfully (and on the same laptop that I have I might add). Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> KM

   New drivers aren't expected to work with older servers (you can
use old drivers with new servers though).  But the FX 5200 can be
made to work with 4.3.0, it just needs some config file magic.  You
probably need to add Option "FlatPanel", and you might need to
add Option "CrtcNumber" "0" or Option "CrtcNumber" "1" if that doesn't
help.  The 4.3.0 driver had a difficult time autodetecting the
flat panel and which head it was on so it needed hints.  The
4.4 driver should "just work", however.

   One possible bug with that laptop is that the console doesn't
get restored correctly.  You'd have to upgrade to 4.4 for that.

			Mark.

PS.  You might just want to upgrade to 4.4 anyhow.  If I recall
     correctly, there is a bug where using alpha blended cursors
     could cause a segfault with all rotate drivers when the cursor
     was moved to the lower edge of the screen.  That was a bug in the
     shadow framebuffer module.