Re: 64bit XFree86 for ppc64 Linux?

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 12:21, Jens Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Mahesh B wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have a ppc64 sytem with Debian woody. I have updated my kerenl with 2.6.3. Debian
> > provides only 32 bit ppc port. So my xserver seems to be slow in 32 bit. I would like to
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> if that's true there's no way. you need your compiler to know about 64
> bit, and more important your kernel must be 64 bit. anyways, i have no
> idea about apples, but recently installed an amd64 with suse64bit. 32
> bit applications seem to be only 10% slower than 64bit. i think the
> advantage of 64 bit is for adress-space and precision in iterative
> calculations.

And the extra registers available in 64-bit mode.

>               i doubt that the x-server really will benefit from it.
> imho, the only reason to have a 64 bit server is if you really have a 64
> bit kernel /and/ want to youse dri (or other kernel-located drivers)

How much of X's time is spent in the host's CPU, and how much in
the GPU's CPU?  Driver-dependent, I guess.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.