Re: 64bit XFree86 for ppc64 Linux?

Mahesh B wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a ppc64 sytem with Debian woody. I have updated my kerenl with 2.6.3. Debian
> provides only 32 bit ppc port. So my xserver seems to be slow in 32 bit. I would like to
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
if that's true there's no way. you need your compiler to know about 64
bit, and more important your kernel must be 64 bit. anyways, i have no
idea about apples, but recently installed an amd64 with suse64bit. 32
bit applications seem to be only 10% slower than 64bit. i think the
advantage of 64 bit is for adress-space and precision in iterative
calculations. i doubt that the x-server really will benefit from it.
imho, the only reason to have a 64 bit server is if you really have a 64
bit kernel /and/ want to youse dri (or other kernel-located drivers)

> build 64 bit XFree86 from the latest source (4.4). I have a 64 bit toolchain. But I have
> only 32 bit xlibs and other dependent libraries.

 xlibs should be compiled as part of the x-distribution. you problme
seems to be mor that your whole system is not 64 bit aware. could well
be a problem with apple, as their ppc64  OS-X is actually only a 32bit
OS.

> Is there any way to build 64 bit XFree86 for my system. Is there any patch for this?
>
> Thanks in advace.
>
> Regards,
> Mahesh

-hope that helps