Can't get Unix xwindows to work with xserver on RedHat ES 2.1 (gnome or kde)

Hello,

I have a problem where I cannot use Linux to host xwindows sessions from Unix servers. Ideally I'd like to use my linux server as a management console and be able to make use of xwindows functionality from our Unix Solaris servers.

Servers testing:
Pennine : Unix Solaris 9
Onslow : Linux RedHat ES 2.1

I am using ssh to connect to pennine via a terminal session running on onslow. However when I try and run xclock I get the message 'Error: Can't open display: onslow:0.0'.
I tried xhost +pennine prior to ssh command but this had no effect.

I have tried the ssh to another linux server and this works, so it seems to be something to do with incompatability with Unix and Linux using xwindows via ssh?

I have also tried telnet and setting display but this gives the same error - can't open display when i try to run xclock. This works when using xserver on Unix and hosting to pennine (Unix to Unix).

I have also tried X -query pennine, but this just displays a blank xwindows type screen and then crashes with 'can;t open display'

Can anybody help me with this as I'd like to use the xwindows functionality on linux to host xwindows sessions from our key unix servers.

Please find attached 2 debug files for comparison, although I can't see anything significant, you may.

I look forward to your comments,

Anthony.

Email Disclaimer

The information in this e-mail is intended only for
the addressee(s) named above. Access to the e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorised. As this e-mail may
contain confidential or privileged information, if
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying distribution or any action taken or omitted
to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be unlawful.  Although we take all possible steps to
ensure this e-mail and attachments are virus free,
you are advised to carry out your own virus checks
as appropriate.