Can't open display

Hello

I have been a linux user for quite some time but havn't tried to do special things with X that much.

I have been using RedHat since RedHat 4 and am now running Fedora. I decided to checkout Debian and downloaded the 3.0 r2 iso and installed on an old k6 166. I am having trouble setting up X on an old Genoa PCI card that I can't identify the model of. Every time I move the mouse, there is fragments of data from other parts of the display left where the mouse was.

My real question is on my Fedora box.
I execute xhost + then telnet to the Debian box. When I try to do something simple like execute xterm I get a message like xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
On the other hand if I do the following:
Xnest :1 -ac&
fvwm2 -display :1&
then open an xterm in the fvwm2 window and telnet to the Debian box from there I can execute whatever app on the Debian box I want to execute.

I run gnome on both boxes as default.

I thought I would be able to telnet to the debian box, execute Xnest and then gnome-session -- display :1 and have a new gnome session in a window that is displaying the Debian front end.

Any ideas.

David Miller