Re: Matrox G550 and acceleration

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:33:41AM -0800, Lionel Lecoq wrote:

> Just a *problem* I lost the acceleration on my G550 card.

2D or 3D acceleration?

> I seem to remember that I had had to install Matrox Linux driver in order to get it. I assume I
> must simply edit XF86Config to tell it to use the Matrox driver.

Yes, the driver is 'mga'.

> Still I would be interested to know whether my assumption that the XFree86 driver is not
> accelerated, and that I must use the Matrox driver for acceleration is still right.

No, the XFree86 driver is definitely accelerated both 2D and 3D for all
G-series.  But if you have lost 3D acceleration, that is a more
complicated issue than 2D (desktop) acceleration.  2D acceleration
should be enabled on any screen that is using the 'mga' driver.  Make
sure you are not using a framebuffer or vesa driver by accident, because
those will be unaccelerated.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>