Logitech MX500 woes

I'm trying to coerce a Logitech MX500 mouse (pretty!) into working
with XFree86. The weird thing is it generates multiple button events
for the scroll up, scroll down buttons sitting above and below the
scroll wheel:

With the scroll wheel ZAxisMapped to "4 5", pressing the scroll up
button gives a stream of ButtonPress and associated ButtonRelease
events for Button 4, followed by a single ButtonRelease for button 2
(without any ButtonPress for button 2). The same thing with button 5
happens with the scroll down button.

Hazarding a guess I'd say this meant the mouse had to be initialised
not to give the default scrolling behaviour for the scroll up, down
buttons, and this hasn't happened for some reason?

Also, though this has been noted by others, the application button
doesn't generate any events at all, even with Option "Buttons" "8".
Dumping /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice does show it generating data
however.

I'm running:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v5 20031207095205 daniels@xxxxxxxxxx)
on Linux 2.6.0-test11, with the following XFree86 config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "8"
        Option          "Resolution"            "800"
EndSection

(to be clear, I'm using the mouse on the PS/2 port, not the USB).

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated.

--
Frank v Waveren                                      Fingerprint: 9106 FD0D
fvw@[var.cx|stack.nl|dse.nl] ICQ#10074100               D6D9 3E7D FAF0 92D1