Re: Xfree86 problem

> All i get is a
> blank desktop with my mouse pointer on it. the pointer shows that the
> computer is processing, but nothing happens. I cna freely move the mouse. I
> dont know much about linux systems, but im wanting to learn, hence
> installing it, so any help would be very gratefully received.

Sounds to me like XFree86 is booting properly then, though you might not like
the resolution it's running at. If that is the case, if you can send us a
copy of the XF86Config and the XFree86.0.log file we could see if we can help
you with that.

The second part of your problem is the login screen. Apparently xdm or kdm or
whatever manager RH uses for that (I'm a SuSE user myself) isn't started.
This could be because it's not being called to begin with or because it
doesn't run properly. You should be able to find this out by
reading /var/log/boot.msg and/or /var/log/kdm.log (or whichever file the RH
manager uses). This however is not an XFree issue, but if you want I could
try to help you to get that running. If you have trouble figuring it out,
just email me personally.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff