SGI 1600SW + DVI-I + Multilink on XFree 4.3

I've searched Google and nobody can give a working example or answer. Here is my setup:

SGI 1600SW monitor
SGI Multilink
Radeon 8500
Slackware 9.1
XFree 4.3

The monitor hooks to the multilink, and the multilink connects to the Radeon 8500 via the DVI-I cable. I do not wish to use the analog cable (A few people, apparently, were able to get this working using the analog setup... since the radeon drivers dont recognize the DVI-I input?   But I'd rather this work correctly. This monitor was meant to be used in a purely digital mode.)

Either way, I tried it with an XF86Config file I found on google .. and the monitor switches on/off a few times then displays a message saying to change the current mode to analog.  When I try with the analog setup, the monitor doesnt display a message -- but X doesn't show up either (just sits there). I think it complains about not being able to find the Radeon at PCI 0:0 or 0:1... when its AGP.

So is it possible to have X work with this monitor + video card at 1600x1024? Thats the goal. If anyone knows how to get this done, I'm offering $25 on answers.google.com:

Thanks,
Adam Roth