xfree 4.3.99 + via driver: Output only on external display

Hi,

I'm running XFree86 on my Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6) laptop. The laptop has an
VIA KM400 chipset. lspci -v tells:

------------------
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 7205
(rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0033
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 4
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Memory at d1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [70] AGP version 2.0
------------------

For using this I've installed XFree86 4.3.99.902. Till thatI used XFree86
4.3.0 and the vesa driver but this is quite slow. For a first test I simply
changed the driver from "vesa" to "via". I didn't get an error message but a
blank screen (switched off) pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del the server shut down and
the console appeared again. After some playing around with the configuration
options I plugged in an external monitor and there my X session appeared.
Now I would like to have it on my laptop screen, since such an external screen
is quite heavy ;-)
Due to some advice on IRC I added "Screen 0" to my Device Settings - nothing
changed, adding "Screen 0" told me about a missing screen. I've also checked
for some BIOS options,forLCD powering I could select "Both" or "Auto" from
both I didn't get any difference.
If I boot witha plugged in external screen all messages (BIOS, Kenel, etc.)
and X appear on the external screen, if I boot with the external monitor
unplugged I get the everything but X on mylaptop monitor. Anybody knows what
I could try to get X on my laptop monitor (and maybe later on both screens -
but first I'd need to buya new one *g*)?

Myold XF86Config - using Vesa device - can be found on
http://johannes.schlueters.de/XF86Config.txt

johannes