ViRGE GX trouble (was Re: difference)

Marcin G³ogowski wrote:

> hi,
> i've a question: what is the difference between XF86_S3V and xfree 4.3
> compared to the s3 virge 86c385 card?
> i've the Compaq DeskPro 4000 which has the virge gx 86c385 graphics card and when I'm
> using the 3.3.6 server everything is ok, but when Im trying to run x
> with the 4.3 my desktop is messed up.
> i tried to ask You several months ago, but nobody helped me, so maybe this
> time I will have a luck.
> it is very importand to my, because I often work on my server which has the card.
> bye
>
> ps:
> i have tried all the options from manual without result
>
> ps2:
> if there is a way to get at least 72 hz with VESA mode PLEASE give me an hint
> how to do it.

Would you describe how the desktop is messed up?  That would help us
understand what you are seeing.

Does the "noaccel" option in the driver section make the problem go
away?  Can you post a log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) somewhere, for a
run which you describe the desktop behavior for?

The S3V server was one of the earlier virge drivers, with the s3virge
driver in 4.x being a fairly large rewrite of that and the virge support
in the SVGA driver from 3.3.6.  Very little feedback has come in for
ViRGE GX, so it sounds like we still have some trouble there.

--
Kevin