Re: via driver limits

On 2004.02.03 11:07, Serge Basterot wrote:
Hi,

Finally XFree86 (4.3.99.902) started with NetBSD on KM400. But there
are some problems.

First, I can't write anything in every programs (xterm, vi etc.). I
don't know if this is related to my system (possible error from
myself) or if this is caused by the (experimental) driver.

Second, I can't set screen size up to 800x600. I hope the driver will
support 1024x768 soon.

Could you tell me if I made mistakes, or if the driver have
effectively thses limits ?

Many thanks,

PS: sorry for my bad english

--
Serj
The via driver is a perfect example of what one shouldnt call "open source driver", it is available as source, anyone can see it (at least the version dragged into xfree86, you have to ask via nicely and wait for a month for any changes they themselves attempted), and it somewhat works in some manner (already vastly improved through nothing more than guesswork by several people, one of which is Alan Cox) It is buggy, unmaintainable code which vaguely ressembles what should be an xfree86 driver released without documentation (or an offer for) by via because they quite likely couldnt get it anywhere themselves.

There is a problem with restoring the registers when switching to textmode (reported by Martti Kuparinen in january, confirmed by Matthieu Herb that this sort of problem would only be seen on openbsd, which is why i mention this here, there are a lot of problems with this driver and several people are trying to fix them). I'm postponing an actual bugreport as this will not get fixed before 4.4 is released.

I have noticed a text rendering problem myself, i'm not sure who reported it but someone did back in november, as soon as it can be reproduced it will be reported properly too. Characters or whole strings are not rendered just resulting in small patches of blank spaces where letters should be. If this is what you mean with "I can't write anything in every programs" and if this is reproducable, then this can be looked into now. If this is not what you meant, please give more details.

About the via_driver and modes, it is a complete mess. And that's not counting in the fact that it only allows a few hardcoded resolutions and refresh rates. Please attach a normal log where you attempt to use 1024x768(from within your screen section) in your response.

Luc Verhaegen.