Re: I deleted xfree86..

Some other people had suggested that as well, but I can't find the rpms on the website.  Can anyone point it out for me?

Ryan
----- Original Message -----
From: John Gay
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: I deleted xfree86..

I'm no RedHat expert, I've only ever used Debian and LFS, but the best way to
install or remove any package from a system that uses package management is
with the package tools.

Since RedHat has gone enterprise, 7.3 may not be officially supported by them,
but I'm sure you can find mirrors that still carry 7.3 rpm's. Also, Progeny
is offering RedHat package support as well.

As for how to re-install, You'd need advise from a RedHat user, but basically,
fetch the rpm's and use the rpm tools to re-install them. I know there is a
way to force a reinstall, I just don't know the exact commands.

The instructions you quote are XFree86's own installation tool, which may or
may not conflict with what RedHat expects from X. I know it conflicts with
Debian. You are better off sticking with rpm's than mixing different
packages.

Hopefully a RedHat user will jump in here with the exact commands to fix your
problem.

Cheers,

John Gay