Re: Running 1024x768 antialiased at 1600x1200?

On Thursday 29 January 2004 01:23, Mike Mestnik wrote:

> I have a problem with Gnome/Mozilla/OOO and high DPI
> values.  I would like to run 1024x768 on my 17" monitor.
> However I don't wish to give up the clearety of 1600x1200.
> Is there a way to run 1024x768 antialiased at 1600x1200?

Depends on your monitor. Obviously if it's a CRT you can,
and most (all?) modern LCD screens contain hardware to scale
non-native resolutions to fill the panel. I'm not sure what
this part of your question means though, really. You can run
your display at whatever resolution you like. If it's an
LCD, then it doesn't make any sense to run it at other than
the native resolution.

> This real problem is that most apps use DPI to resize
> fonts but fail to resize there grfx as well.

That's probably because the graphics do not contain a DPI
value that the software you're using can understand. Vector
graphics formats will come out fine, and for applications
which understand the dpi information carried by certain
graphics formats (TIFF?), these will display fine too. (I'm
not sure, but I don't think JPEG or PNG support a 'DPI'
field, unfortunately). For web pages, CSS can be used to set
the width and height of images (and other web-page elements)
in device independent units.

Unfortunately (perhaps), most web designers tend to specify
images' width and height in pixels, not in a
device-independent way e.g. in ems. And (much worse) they
make assumptions about font size which are generally wildly
wrong for all but the configurations which they tested
on. (MSIE 6.0, of course.)

> This causes text to be hidden and other ugly anomalys.

This is just bad web design - don't blame XFree86 for that,
blame the site designer. Email them and complain.

> It seams that every one thinks that I have some how chosen
> wrong fonts.

Again, if you're talking about web pages, it's just bad web
design. Tell them to stop using pixel values for font sizes,
and to use points instead (and while they're at it, get rid
of fixed-width pages and all the other abominations being
perpetrated these days).

> The problem of running with high DPI has become to costly
> as a result.  I realy do like the non-jaged look of higher
> resolutions but since this changes the DPI it's not worth
> doing.

Er, yes it is, if your display supports it. In what way is
it costly?

> The last draw today was when I printed a webpage it came
> ought as if my printer had 163 DPI, vary small.

What has that got to do with XFree86? It sounds as if you
have misconfigured your printer driver, or your web browser,
or both.

> I wonder what kind of respons I'l get from this bug
> report.

I haven't seen an XFree86 bug mentioned anywhere in your
email. If you want to report the faulty design of the
webpages which don't display properly, this isn't the place
to do it! Submitting patches which improve the
device-independent resolution support of your favourite
applications (which don't already have it) would also
doubtless be welcomed by their developers.

--
Bill Gallafent.