Re: Problems with X on Dell Optiplex

Hi Tolga,

While I don't know the reason for the problem shown in the attached log
file, I do know what keeps you from using your Optiplex with a decent
resolution. I had the same problem.

In the BIOS, you have to tell the system to reserve 8MB graphics memory
(default is 1MB, which will bring you 640x480@16 or 1024x768@8). This
sounds easy to do, but the current BIOS version (A03) has a bug, so your
8MB setting is ignored, the system always thinks there is only 1MB of
graphics memory.

The solution for this BIOS bug: downgrade your BIOS to version A02. Just
download the correct version from Dell's homepage and follow the
instructions. This worked perfectly for me (I can now use 1600x1200@24
via the DVI port, and it looks great).

Best Regards,

Christoph Jäger