2.6 Kernel + Radeon DRM modules + ATI Radeon Mobility U1 card + XFree86 = crash!

I think XFree86 hates me. I have tried running many different 2.6.x kernels and I have been trying to get XFree86 working with DRI. My distro currently ships XFree86 4.4.0-20030116 (bleeding-edge). I compiled my kernel with AGP support and with DRM support for Radeon. That didn't work, and I read that I was supposed to checkout the 'xc' module from CVS and build the DRM modules there. I did so, but now whenever I start X with DRI enabled in the XF86Config file, X restarts my computer.

I am able to get into X, but only if I comment out or delete the option to load "dri" in /etc/X11/XF86Config. Has anyone else using my card experienced this? Is there a way to get around it? If, after X having restarted my computer, I boot into runlevel 3 and view my X logs, there is absolutely nothing unusual. In fact, X actually reports DRI being loaded successfully!

I would really like to have DRI support for my card (ATi Radeon Mobility U1 aka IGP320) and I have heard success stories. When using a slightly older version of XFree86 (4.3.99.16, I believe) I was able to get DRI working.

Any help appreciated.