Re: Re: Improvement

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 8:14 PM
Subject:  Re: Improvement

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Ben Phillips wrote:

> >It would probably be better to tell Red Hat (or your favorite linux
> >distributor) about this, if they have a feature-request page somewhere.

I use debian. If there is something similar I would like to heard about it.

But, this can direct to the distro/desktop babel..., when we are using the
same XFree ( that creates the problem and can offer an universal solution).

> >Because I don't think there's a reason to modify the actual X server to
> >do this;

> The end user really should not ever have to know that there is
> such a thing as an X server config file.

There is a powerfull reason : the newbies. In Knoppix I could use Knoppix
xmodule=fbdev ( because I bought a SiS no-linux graphic card
http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

The average Windows
> user doesn't know about the Windows registry,

Windows is more plug-and-play and driver ready for the newbie.

>  It is intentional
> that the Windows registry doesn't have an icon for editig it
> placed on the desktop by default nor in the "start" menu.

I didn´t speak about an icon, but about a program to copy the config file to
a diskette... This is not dangerous ( dangerous would be continue withot
solving my XFree problem...).

.  David's done some work which is in CVS, and will be
> in 4.4.0 which will further help to make less users need to know
> the X config file's existance or muck with it.

For me it didn´t work, when I installed Knoppix in my hard disk... I know
about the X existence with un-pleassure ;( because of the messages I see
when initializing Gnome...

, probably should in the future permit per-user
> overrides via some dotfile in users' homedirs.

It would be very interesting the user could change some things and show an
asking box : is this resolution OK ?? Yes/No ( if no response within 20
seconds the system is going to be restored to the previous values ).

> Any user can _view_ the file, by firing up any file manager, and
> surfing into the /etc/X11 directory, which for the most part, is
> even easier in Linux to do than it is for an end user to figure
> out what the Registry is, fire up regedit by hand, and then get
> lost in the maze of HKEY_FOO to find what they're looking for,
> even then guessing mostly.
>
> So, it's very unlikely at least on the distribution side of
> things, that the XFree86 config file is going to be presented to
> end users in any way other than what it is currently, which is to
> edit the file using a text editor as root if required.

If you know what root is. Sometime ago, my distro-er said the floppy disk
were mounted. But it wasn´t . I had to mount it handly. When you are just a
newbie, a copy to floppy is risk-less and can help to solve the problem
(i.e. the user can send it to the technical service using a graphical email
program in a good-working operating system in another partition ).

Remember, my Windows OS cannot read the EXT3 partitions where I have
Knoppix/Debian (and their configuration files for XWindow ).

> If our configuration tool redhat-config-xfree86 is missing some
> important functionality however, we welcome requests for
> enhancments and features.

Sorry, I don´t use RedHat ;( It´s more easy to find between the friends,
Gnobian ( http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnobian ) like Morphix Gnome

> >Although, it would be nice to just write an XFree86-crash.HOWTO and have
> >the last thing the X server says in the event of a crash be:
> >
> >   For help, try typing:  less $( locate XFree86-crash.HOWTO )
>
> That is indeed a good idea,

For sure it is a good idea !!!!!. Go ahead with it ;)

 What I'd like to do is start out with
> something like that, but also have some kind of troubleshooter
> wizard which pops up if the server SEGVs (and the system is still
> useable in any way).

I love this idea too...

> I realize that there are some situations which users may
> encounter, in which they need to learn way more about the X
> server and it's configuration file than they would prefer to
> know, and that they might prefer something simpler than "edit the
> config file" as a solution, however developing such a solution
> goes against the goals of simplicity, and doesn't solve the
> _real_ problem, which is why the user needs to find the config
> file in the first place.

To see something ;)

 I think that aside from fixing driver
> and server bugs so that users don't experience them to begin
> with, that the focus should be on making things "just work", to
> avoid complex configuration, and any rocket science.
>
> Just my personal opinion.

Again you are right.

See also http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?wikiid=4149&doc=UserFriendlyLinux
.

Regards and thank you a lot because your excellent ideas .