Re: Problem with S3 ViRGE DX

Nagy Ferenc László wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There was a thread in november with the same subject starting here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg11195.html
>
> I have the same problem (on somebody else's hardware): when video
> memory is written, screen flickers.
>
> The effect can be seen better with small number of objects on black
> background, so here are the details: When there is a blue object
> somewhere on the left side, then a copy of the object appears about
> 170 pixels right in red color. Another 170 pixels right a green copy
> appears, then blue, red, green and so on again, with less and less
> intensity (less and less incorrect pixels).
>
> I've used 24 bit color depth and software cursor (so every mouse move
> caused video memory write). The phenomena didn't follow mouse, only
> the fact of move (change of picture) was important. Horizontal lines
> are peculiar (false pixels are in burst), but I've only seen vertical
> lines when the original picture contained one.
>
> Setting xvideo to no helps a lot. Reducing depth and resolution helps
> too.
>
> XFree86 version (from UHU-Linux 1.1-rc3):
>
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1
> Release Date: 9 May 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-11smp i686 [ELF]
> Build Date: 18 December 2003
>
> Video card (S3 ViRGE/DX from 1998):
>
> (II) PCI: 00:09:0: chip 5333,8a01 card 5333,8a01 rev 01 class 03,00,00 hdr 00

That thread covers the steps to reduce flicker.  You will get rid of it
by using depth 16 also, which is what I generally run on virge dx
cards.  These are low end graphics cards, and short of limiting the
depth 24 resolution further in the driver, I don't think there are any
other good solutions at this point.  (Well, some driver tuning might
help.)

--
Kevin