Un-able to load colormap of window with 8-bit Pseudo transparent visual overlayed on 24-bit True color planes

XFree86.Org,

I have been having an X11 problem with an nVidia board and you may be my last resort.  nVidia doesn't respond to end-users, Dell is useless, RedHat is not responding and the XFree86 Bug reporting doesn't work.

The problem is in loading the colormap of a window with an 8-bit Pseudo transparent visual overlayed on a 24-bit True color window. The nVidia FX 1000 boards (as well as a Quadro4 980 XGL) support this capability. The X windows environment has been setup to enable the 8-bit overlay planes with transparency and the 24-bit true color "underlay" planes. The capabilitly also works on select HP and SGI Unix Platforms.

i.e. XF86Config:

Option "CIOverlay" True

Option "OverlayDefaultVisual" True

A program has been created which opens two windows, one into the overlay planes and one into the 24-bit true color planes. The correct visuals are search for, selected and used to open the respect windows.  The capability seems to exist (supported by the board) since the overlay window can see through the desktop to the nVidia logo residing the in the 24-bit true color.

The first problem is that the 8-bit color table will not load new colors (they only contain black and a few grays).

A second problem exists in that the true color window will not allow the drawing of any colors at all.

I am hoping for any type of help.  Any type of test program which exercises this capability would be greatly appreciated.  I will gladly supply you with my program if that would be easier.

Thank you very much for your time.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open the X display

2. Obtain VisualInfo and select a 24-bit true visual

3. Obtain Overlay information, match overlay info to visuals and select an 8 bit Pseudo visual with transparency.

4. Create color map for overlay window and load some colors.

5. Open an application shell with the 24-bit true visual

6. Open an application shell with the 8-bit transparent overlay visual

7. Clear each window to 0 (in my case 0 is the transparent color)

8. Draw colored rectangles into each window

Actual Results

- The correct visuals are selected.

- Both the 24-bit true and 8-bit overlay windows open.

- The overlay window can see through the desktop to the nVidia logo residing the in the 24-bit true color.

- Drawing of 256 (8bits) colored rectangles results in all black with ~4 grays.

- Drawing to the 24-bit window results in a BadMatch error.

Expected Results

Windows open as stated above.

The overlay would have 256 colored rectangles representing the colors loaded.

The 24-bit true window would have a pattern of the 16M colors possible via true color visual.

Environment

Machine :          Intel i686  3.0Ghz P4

Graphics :         nVidia FX 1000

Memory :          1 Gb

XFree86 :          4.3.0-2

Linux 9 :            2.4.20-3bigmem

Kernel :             2.4.20-8smp

Scott D. Carter

Naval Undersea Warfare Center,  Code 2123

1176 Howell St., Newport RI, 02841

Tel:  401-832-8201

Fax: 401-832-7453